Blog Action Day 2012
September 2, 2012 in Rants & Raves
Tags: Blog Action Day, blogging, climate change, community groups, environmental issues, human rights, online activism, politics, social justice, social media, workers rights
Blog Action Day is not far away, in fact it’s only a few weeks away and is happening on October 15.
And this year I’ll again be participating in Blog Action Day. The theme for this year’s event is “The Power of We”. To explain the concept behind this year’s theme and how to get involved, I’ve adapted an email I received from the Blog Action Day team.
Why choose The Power of We?
The Blog Action Day team chose this theme for a few reasons.
Firstly, the popularity of the subjects Community, Equality, Transparency/Anti-Corruption and Freedom, in the theme poll run via Facebook and Twitter, over the last few weeks.
Secondly, the team felt that Blog Action Day needed to reflect the ever growing movements of people working together for positive social change.
Whether using digital tools like blogs, social networks and mobiles, or meeting face to face in local community halls, the neighbour’s house, and public streets. Greater numbers of people have been coming together to make change, either for their own communities or the world at large.
For the team at Blog Action Day, The Power of We is a celebration of people working together to make a positive difference in the world, and want you to take part and register your blog for Blog Action Day.
Ideas for how you can discuss “The Power of We”
For Blog Action Day, you might profile a person or a group who inspire you, talk about your own efforts to make change, or highlight a cause that has been successful for using people power to make a difference.
There are hundreds of examples you could choose from such as:
- fighting for healthier meals for kids in schools,
- protecting people’s rights in countries far away,
- stopping practices in industries that hurt the environment and communities,
- challenging authorities to listen and act for the people.
Or, you may want to focus on historical social change movements such as the Suffragettes movement, campaigns against slavery or civil rights.
If you are active in a movement, you might even want to discuss the strategies and tips of how to organise to encourage other people to make change happen.
Getting ready for Blog Action Day
As Blog Action Day gets closer (just under seven weeks away) the Blog Action Day team will be sharing thoughts from the NGO partners, previous Blog Action Day participants and interesting individuals about the theme. The BAD12 team have asked them to provide suggestions and materials that you can use for your blogs on October 15, 2102.
The team at Blog Action Day can’t wait to see what you all blog about and hope that you enjoy taking part in Blog Action Day on October 15, 2012.
Don’t forget to register for this year’s event via the website.
- Korea (South): Nationwide strikes weigh on economy September 29, 2016LabourStart headline - Source: The Herald
- Finland: Finns march against racism and violent extreme right September 28, 2016LabourStart headline - Source: Trade Union News from Finland
- Kyrgyzstan: First meeting of textile workers union September 28, 2016LabourStart headline - Source: Just Style
- Korea (South): Nationwide strikes weigh on economy September 29, 2016