Blog Action Day 2012
September 2, 2012 in Rants & Raves
Tags: Blog Action Day, blogging, climate change, community groups, environmental issues, human rights, online activism, politics, social justice, social media, workers rights
Blog Action Day is not far away, in fact it’s only a few weeks away and is happening on October 15.
And this year I’ll again be participating in Blog Action Day. The theme for this year’s event is “The Power of We”. To explain the concept behind this year’s theme and how to get involved, I’ve adapted an email I received from the Blog Action Day team.
Why choose The Power of We?
The Blog Action Day team chose this theme for a few reasons.
Firstly, the popularity of the subjects Community, Equality, Transparency/Anti-Corruption and Freedom, in the theme poll run via Facebook and Twitter, over the last few weeks.
Secondly, the team felt that Blog Action Day needed to reflect the ever growing movements of people working together for positive social change.
Whether using digital tools like blogs, social networks and mobiles, or meeting face to face in local community halls, the neighbour’s house, and public streets. Greater numbers of people have been coming together to make change, either for their own communities or the world at large.
For the team at Blog Action Day, The Power of We is a celebration of people working together to make a positive difference in the world, and want you to take part and register your blog for Blog Action Day.
Ideas for how you can discuss “The Power of We”
For Blog Action Day, you might profile a person or a group who inspire you, talk about your own efforts to make change, or highlight a cause that has been successful for using people power to make a difference.
There are hundreds of examples you could choose from such as:
- fighting for healthier meals for kids in schools,
- protecting people’s rights in countries far away,
- stopping practices in industries that hurt the environment and communities,
- challenging authorities to listen and act for the people.
Or, you may want to focus on historical social change movements such as the Suffragettes movement, campaigns against slavery or civil rights.
If you are active in a movement, you might even want to discuss the strategies and tips of how to organise to encourage other people to make change happen.
Getting ready for Blog Action Day
As Blog Action Day gets closer (just under seven weeks away) the Blog Action Day team will be sharing thoughts from the NGO partners, previous Blog Action Day participants and interesting individuals about the theme. The BAD12 team have asked them to provide suggestions and materials that you can use for your blogs on October 15, 2102.
The team at Blog Action Day can’t wait to see what you all blog about and hope that you enjoy taking part in Blog Action Day on October 15, 2012.
Don’t forget to register for this year’s event via the website.
- Attorney-General Brandis must be sacked March 2, 2015Australian Greens Leader Christine Milne says the Prime Minister must immediately sack Attorney-General George Brandis, who has been censured by the Senate today. "The Australian Senate has declared it's lost confidence in Minister Brandis. He must be sacked," said Senator Milne. "The current Attorney-General is unfit tho hold the office. […]
- Two bad ideas scrapped, one to go March 2, 2015Australian Greens health spokesperson and former GP, Dr Richard Di Natale, welcomed reports that the government is planning to scrap its planned $5 Medicare rebate cut but said the fight to protect Medicare isn’t over. “We will all celebrate if the $5 cut to Medicare rebates is finally sent to the graveyard of dumb policy ideas but nobody should forget that […]
- PM's “captain's call” disastrous for Tasmania, must not be repeated February 28, 2015Australian Greens Leader Christine Milne says Tony Abbott has once again made a disastrous captain's call in backing his Liberal ideologues on Tasmanian forests, and now risks repeating the mistake. "The disaster that is the Tasmanian forest industry is clearly at the feet of Tony Abbott with his stupid captain's call. Don't do it again, […]
- Attorney-General Brandis must be sacked March 2, 2015